Friday, June 7, 2013

What was going on...

The hospital was doing all that they could to try and figure out what was causing the pain.  Blood Tests, Catheters, X-Rays, Physical Exams,  Papsmeres, MRI's, Pelvic Exams.... blah blah blah.  It turned out that I had a large ovarian cyst on my right ovary that had become infected.  The cyst was positioned sort of between my ovary and fallopian tube, which made the doctor second guess himself for a moment and made him think that there was a possibility of it being an ectopic pregnancy.  

The ovarian cyst was confirmed.  I was too young for them to consider surgery in order to get rid of it.  After all, this was my reproductive system.  If they performed surgery in such a delicate area, it could possibly mess with my fertility from that day forward.  Over the next 5 days, my IV would consist of Morphine for the excruciating pain, and strong antibiotics in hopes to fight the infection.  I had developed a fever over the next couple of days due to the infection.  The doctor decided to keep my fever and stabilize it as a defense mechanism to keep fighting against the infection.  If we couldn't get rid of the infection, we would have no choice but to perform surgery. 

My husband, who was just my boyfriend at the time, never left my side.  He slept on those horrible hospital couches in my room every night. At the time I wasn't concerned about having kids.  I wasn't trying to get pregnant, and the thought of this affecting me later in life when I wanted kids, never really crossed my mind.  It just wasn't what I really thought about at that time in my life.  I just thought, well once this goes away, I can continue on with my daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment