Thursday, June 12, 2014

April 4, 2014: Post-Op Appointment!

     It was finally my post-op!!  It seemed like it had been forever since my surgery.  I was still recovering but each day I was feeling better and better.  I told the doctor that I was still in some discomfort on my right side.  I wasn't sure what it was, but I told him that the only way I could describe it was by comparing it to an ovarian cyst.  He told me that he thinks that I will have a little pain and discomfort for the rest of my life there.  He said that when they went in to do surgery they noticed that my ovary was not in the correct position.  It was sitting in this little shelf extremely close to the tube that connects your bladder to your kidneys.  He said that the position it is in, will most likely cause the discomfort that I am feeling from here on out, and most likely it was something I was born with.  This could happen with an infection, but I don't have enough scar tissue in that area to make him believe so.  It was just my anatomy.  With that being said, if I were to ever have to do IVF, they may not be able to use that particular ovary to retrieve eggs from.  It was just too close to other things and it could not be moved out of that position.  It was just too risky.  He said to do IVF and utilize that ovary, they would probably have to do things a bit differently as a precaution, for example like possibly go through my stomach. 
   The doctor said that he was a bit shocked when he went in to remove the wall of the cyst.  When he cut it open, he expected to see my ovary because we were under the impression that it was an ovarian cyst.  Well....it wasn't.  When he cut it open, fluid gushed out.  It was a different type of cyst!!!!  See what had happened was.... scar tissue from my previous surgery formed to my body and then filled up with fluids.  This explains why the "ovarian" cyst never shrunk with all the birth control attempts.  That's because it was something different and not something that would respond to birth control.  Just my luck, right?!
     My incisions were looking great!!  I had to have two cycles before I was able to try to conceive again.  So it was just a bit of a waiting period which was fine, because it gave my body time to heal itself.   I was excited that things were going well and I had another procedure behind me. 



  This is my right ovary in the improper position.   All tucked inside its own little space. 
         The tube you see to the left of it is what connects your bladder to your kidneys. 

 This is my left ovary and what the right one should look like.  Hanging out in the abdomen in the proper position. 


No comments:

Post a Comment