Monday, February 17, 2014

January 21, 2014: Appointment Day

January 21st was finally here! Those 6 weeks felt like a freaking eternity!  I had been mentally preparing myself for the news I didn't want to hear....surgery.  We got everything ready for the ultrasound.  I told my doctor about the pain and discomfort that I was still continuing to experience.  He had previously told me that there were cysts that just don't resolve on their own, and he had a feeling that this would be one of those cyst.  Well....he was right.  The ultrasound results showed that the cyst was still there and it had not shrunken at all.  The stronger, more potent birth control hadn't worked as we had planned and hoped it would.  So...surgery it is.  I thought for sure that after my first surgery, I would finally be able to get pregnant.  Year after year of trying, tests, procedures, surgery, medications....I thought I was closer than ever!  I figured there could possibly be a few more bumps in the road, but I definitely did not think another surgery would be needed....... yet here I was preparing for another one.  

The doctor instructed me to stay on the pills that I was currently taking until the day of surgery, while continuing to suppress my cycles.  I would be getting contacted by the end of the week in regards to a scheduling a day to perform the surgery on.  The doctor told me that with this surgery, they would be removing the wall of the cyst to ensure that it never comes back again, and they would do it laparoscopic once again.  Although this cyst will never come back, there is still a chance that new ones may develop in the future.  I asked him why I couldn't just start fertility drugs with the cyst present.....He told me that my body would not respond to the medications properly with the cyst present.  Although I was being strong and left the office without crying..... for once, deep down I was crushed. 

As you look the picture below, you can see the large cyst on the right side of the screen.  On an ultrasound, fluid appears black.  The entire black mass on the right is the cyst.  Once the doctor and nurses left the room, I just stared at the screen for a moment, and just shook my head as I got dressed to leave and snapped a picture.  If it were just a simple cyst this would not be happening.  Since it is a complex cyst with abnormal characteristics, there is nothing I can do but to have another surgery.  

                                 Next step.... FInd a date for have the next surgery!


No comments:

Post a Comment