Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 22, 2011 10:16:49AM

This day would mark my first Hysterosalpingography (HSG or Dye Study).  This was basically a test, where they inject dye into your cervix and watch it spill out into your abdomen to see if both fallopian tubes are open.  I was beyond nervous.  I got to the hospital early that morning.  My doctor told me to take 800mg of Motrin (prescription strength) an hour before my procedure because the hospital would not be giving me any type of medication for the pain or discomfort I was about to endure....But of course, I didn't remember to take them.  The nurse came out and asked me to draw blood for a pregnancy test.  I obviously knew what those results were going to be, but I knew it was just proper protocol. Once I got the negative pregnancy test results, it was time for the procedure.

My mom was with me at the time, because Miguel had to work.  I think she was more nervous than I was.   There were 3 other people in the room.  The doctor, the nurse, and an assistant.  They had me lay on this steel table.  I was shaking.  They began by using clamps to open me up in order to properly place the A6 French Catheter inside of me and attach it to my uterus.  The nurse stood over me, holding my hand and instructing me on how to breathe.  "Just focus on your breathing... Deep breaths in and out", she would tell me.  Once the catheter was attached, then they began to inject the contrast (5mL of it).  They had this machine over my abdomen in order for the doctor to watch the study on a screen.  The contrast makes your tubes swell, and you instantly feel tremendous pressure and abdominal cramping.  You are just so uncomfortable, that you want to just push everyone away from you.  They tell me to take deep breaths and keep still because the dye can make me feel like I want to faint. Oh well, that's just wonderful.  Once the study was over, I was instructed to lay there for a couple of minutes so that I wouldn't pass out from the left over contrast in my system.  When it was all said and done, I could not be happier that it was all over with!!  I told myself I would never do that test again.  Never.  Now I just wait for my doctor to call me with results....

No comments:

Post a Comment